Sunday 20 July 2014

News Roundup

I know I say this a lot, but it's been way too long since I last posted. A lot has happened in the last few months so here's a few highlights.

Bolt Action Partisans
My last post was about these guys and since then I've managed to get everything finished.

The plan was always to take these to Rushden for their most recent tournament, Operation: Chastise, and that's what I did. As always at Rushden the results are split with separate prizes for axis and allied commanders and at the end of the event, with 3 wins and 1 loss to my name, I managed to take the prize for second place allied commander. More than that though, I also took the prize for best painted allied force. I'm still not convinced I deserved that one but I'll post some more photos sometime soon and you can judge for yourselves.

I've played more games with this army since and I'm intending to give them another run out at Derby later this year.

Dreadball
I've been playing a lot of this as well as running the DreadBall league at the club. Right now I'm leading the league but there's only 3 points in it and there's plenty of teams who could catch me. So far everybody's having fun and we've got new players joining even though we're halfway through the season. I haven't made it to many tournaments recently but hopefully I'll be able to soon.

Our attempt at staging a tournament at the club failed miserably due to a combination of incompetence on the part of our landlords and apathy on the part of our players. There's talk of giving things another try later this year, but unless there's a clear commitment from our players I won't be the one running it.

Deadzone
Mantic have finally delivered all the parts I was missing from the Kickstarter (almost six months late) and I've even managed to get a couple of games in. I've not made my mind up about the game yet, it seems to have promise but I've not got a handle on it yet. Playing again tomorrow night so we'll see how that goes.

Judge Dredd
The JDMG campaign at the club has been fought to a conclusion with Andy Miller coming out victorious and stamping Chief Judge Cal's authority acoss the throats of tge citizens of Mega City One. Andy managed to go throgh the whole campain undefeated (I was the only one to even fight him to a draw) so it was a thoroughly well-deserved victory.

I'm taking a bit of a break from Dredd for a while as I just have too much on my plate right now. I think 18 months of constant campaigning is sufficint for now.

New Job
After being seriously stressed out throughout my time at my last job, I seem to have finally landed on my feet. As of last week I am now the new web designer at Wargames Foundry!

I've always been a fan of Foundry's miniatures, my partisans include a handful and I have most of the Judge Dredd range, and having a chance to be part of the process feels incredible. Plus I'm working with the legend that is Bryan Ansell, one of the guys responsible for the games that got me into wargaming in the first place. I keep having to remind myself that this is actually happening.

All I will say is please don't judge me on the state of the current website. I'm purely concentrating on a replacement, we're not doing any development on the old one. It helps that, for once, I'm actually the target market for my work.

Spartans
I am currently in need of some ancient Greeks for a new ruleset I've been asked to help playtest. I can't go into much detail about the game until it's much more developed but I will be trying to keep this blog up to speed with progress on the forces I'm putting together. Fortunately Foundry do an excellent range of Greeks so I may be a little biased in my choice of miniatures.

Right now I have one solitary Spartan painted and ideally I need at least two complete forces. This may take a while.

Oldhammer
Next month Foundry will once again be hosting the Oldhammer weekend which promises to be packed with gamers of a similar vintage to me celebrating the kind of games I played back when I was just getting started in gaming. And as my new boss was encouraging me to attend it looks like I'm going to be spending the weekend at work. :-)

I don't have enough time to get anything substantial ready for the day, but I have signed up to play some Judge Dredd (using Necromunda rules), Gorkamorka and Heroquest. Otherwise I'll just be hanging out and ogling all the vintage lead. I'm going to enjoy this.

Looking Ahead
I see many Spartans in my future. But I'm also going to be trying to progress with my God of Battles/Kings of War force. I need to finish off my WWII Italians for the next event at Rushden, I have about half the models painted that I will need.

Kickstarter will be adding to the lead pile in a big way. I have another lot of Deadzone turning up next month that will need some attention. Plus the Baker Company winter war stuff (Russians and Finns). Plus Robotech. There may be more stuff I haven't thought of as well. I'll be keeping busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment