Saturday 27 April 2013

So far, so good

I said I was starting this blog to write about the new armies I've just started working on, so I guess I'll start with my latest offering for Warhammer 40K.

First though, a bit of background. 40K is the game that got me into wargaming in the first place and, no matter what problems I might have with the rules (I have plenty) or the price of the figures, it's a game I just can't seem to give up on. A big chunk of the reason for that is the depth of the background material, particularly the forces of Chaos. Which is why I've always had a problem with one particular omission from the Chaos Marine codex.

The thing is, each of the four Chaos powers has its own elite Chaos Marine unit, troops that best exemplify the tactical style of that particular god. Khorne has Bezerkers, Nurgle has Plague Marines and Slaanesh has Noise Marines. And Tzeentch; Tzeentch has the Thousand Sons. Which is where it all falls down , because the Thousand Sons aren't really in the same category as the others. They're a single chapter of Chaos Marines and their in-game abilities are directly linked to that fact. Which means that if you want a Tzeentch-themed army (like I do) you have to either take an army from one specific chapter or accept that it will be less themed than an army for one of the other powers.

So this was my quest to come up with a better option for a themed Tzeentchian army. What I came up with was an complete army of psykers, using the Grey Knights codex. Which I guess is playing even more fast and loose with the background material but it works for me.

So what do I have to show for this big plan so far? The short answer is a lot of grey plastic. Largely because I haven't decided on a colour scheme yet. Right now, the only candidate I have is one survivor from a previous army I put together 20 years ago (the rest of the Tzeentch troops from this army were unfortunately lost when one of my figure cases got stolen). At the time, I really liked this colour scheme. Now I'm not so sure...


Anyway, more to follow. Possibly before I come up with a workable colour scheme, possibly after.

No comments:

Post a Comment